2014 Summer FOOD CAMP Postponed!
What is BITE Kitchen FOOD Camp?
FOOD CAMP is a 2 week food and nutrition intensive for teens. We will be hosting optional BITE Kitchen dinners after the intensive – TBA!
This will be the 3rd year for the FOOD camp. This year we are back to a 2 week program and we’re introducing a traditional herbalism component with teachers from the valley versed in Native American, Chinese, and European herbal healing methods.
2014 Dates: July 7 – 17 — EatWell Dinner with Fam. & Friends: June 18th
Location: TBD – North Star Building in Hadley OR Downtown Northampton
Check out the awesome blog from our summer 2012 intensive here
FOOD Camp strives to address the epidemic of food confusion.
Main obstacles to good eating:
- Lack of knowledge of how our bodies process nutrients (why is brown rice “better” than a bagel?)
- Lack of experience in cooking and preparing healthy, balanced meals
- Compromised relationships with food due to media confusion and pop science
In FOOD Camp we’ll identify ingredients, prepare and cook, and discuss nutritional value, environmental impact, and even policy implications of food production. With convenience stores, fast food joints, questionable school lunch, and the swarms of nutritionally vacant sweets and fats sold at every corner we aim to break through the competition for young stomachs.
Workshop topics include:
- Nutrition (traditional/modern diets, balancing meals, etc.)
- Food Preparation
- Food Production
- Food Policy
- Relationships with food and eating (physical appearance vs. enjoyment vs. sustenance)
TYPICAL DAILY SCHEDULE:
- 9 – 10AM Gardening/Breakfast
- 10:15 – 11:30 : Lecture/Workshops or Field Trip
- 11:30 – noon : Break (activities)
- noon – 2pm : Food Prep., Food discussion, Cooking, Eating, and Cleanup
- 2 – 3pm : Hands-on Workshops
- FRIDAY • EatWell Dinner! – The last day of FOOD Camp, we will invite friends and family for a dinner made by us! Location TBA (Northampton) Cost TBA ($10 – $15 per plate)
- Local Dairy
- A Homestead Farm
- A Conventional Farm
- Local Restaurant
- Herbal Medicine Gardens
- And more…
Check out the CURRICULUM page for more specifics on hands-on workshops, lectures, and field trips!